Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pre-Braces day.

For your info, you will see my teeth in dental braces very soon. (iron teeth ;p) Thus, I think it would be good to start taking down how I feel during this braces days.

Since November last year, I started to go to NUH dental clinic (Clinic 2) for some dental check up. He is an undergrad dentist who going to grad very soon and have me as a patient for his FYP (final year project). I believe he has grad to become a dentist by now already.

During his check up (about 3 times), he took a few x-ray of my teeth. Front view, side view, inside view and etc. Can't imagine how much cell of my head/brain died during that period. ;p No wonder I found myself so forgetful since then. ;p (Still not forget to blame on other for my forgetfulness).

I saw my x-ray and have it with me now (need to loan it for wisdom teeth extraction). It looks damn scary. Dunno how to describe it. But you might be able to imagine it if you see my teeth. Just super very not align. Anyway, this is one of the reason I go for the Orthodontics treatment.

He also did a mold of both my upper and lower teeth. What I can remember from this is the moment he put the "mold mixture" into my mouth. The feeling is just so irritating and uncomfortable. It's like putting some mud inside the mouth (never try putting mud inside my mouth but this is what I think it would be the same feeling).

After the 3 appointments with this undergrad dentist, he started putting my name in the queue. Since then, I was just waiting for calls from someone who I do not know till few weeks ago.

He is an Indian postgrad dentist. During my first appointment with him, he asked me to have another 2 x-ray and did the mold of my teeth again. I don't like that mud in mouth feeling. Yet, due to my abnormal teeth + his skill, I need to have that mixture into my mouth 3 times to make upper and lower teeth mold with 1 time failure. Sigh...

From my first appointment with him, I realised that I have improper bite. Because of some measurement needed, he asked me to bite as per normal. I followed what he said but he asked me to bite again. He asked me, "Is this how you bite?". I said, "ya". He then holded my lower jaw and push them backward. He then said, "This is how you bite rite? When I ask you to bite next time, bite like this. Bite at the back."

Yesterday was the 2nd appointment with him. His professor and him were discussing about how to proceed for my case. As an outsider, I can see that his professor is a very experience and expert orthodontic dentist. When she came to my Indian Dr, a few of the other dentists came near us and stood there listen to what she said. They were whispering to each others and agreeing what she said. I had a feeling like I wasthe guineapig inside an aquarium under some kind of experiment and observation. One of them even asked me to show her how I bite. She said, "Bite. Bite at the back." Same bite requested.

After his prof has gone, he told me softly that his prof is an expert in this field. That's the reason he chose her to take care of my case as my case is a bit complicated and like what he said not that straight forward.

Ya, I myself agree that my case is a bit complicated. He explained to me what are some of the options I can consider like what I heard from the discussion between his prof and him. I started to do some research on the option he gave. Anyway, that would be a decision to be made not now but in few months time.

He put elastic band between my lower wisdom tooth and the tooth next to it. He put another elastic band at the other side also. That started my pre-braces treatment.

How I feel? I started to fear of the whole treatment. It's really uncomfortable to have something inside my mouth even though the band is just much much much smaller than 5 cents coin. Do not know how to describe the feeling.

This is just the 2nd day of the pre-braces day. He told me that he will start with putting the metal on my lower teeth next week. The upper side will only start few months later. The whole treatment should be around 2 years like that. Let's see how this diary will become in these 2 years time.

1 comments:

Spock said...

Quote. "I had a feeling like I wasthe guineapig inside an aquarium under some kind of experiment and observation."

Guinea pigs don't stay in aquariums

 
Copyright 2009 ~AmK~