Thursday, April 30, 2009

17 again

Months ago when I went to Shaw Cinema at Orchard for a movie (can't remember what movie we watched) with HC, I saw the poster of this movie "17 again".
My very first impression to this movie is that "hmm... I am not gonna pay for this movie.". The reason is I always think that the main actor of this movie Zac Efron is the kind of idol type of actor who like to act cool and make me related to groups of ladies who will shout for. Sorry to those who like him so much. ;p

Last week, HC and I were thinking to watch a movie in the cinema. We reached the cinema and found out that we have limited choices. HC then suggested this movie"17 again". Due of no more other movies better than this (those better than this during that time already been watched.), we bought ourselves two tickets on this show.

This show is about the young Mike O'Donnel (Zac Efron) was a star on the high school basketball court with a college scout in the stands and a bright future in his grasp. But instead, he decided to throw it all away to share his life with his girlfriend Scarlet and the baby he just learned they are expecting.

Almost 20 years later, the present Mike (Matthew Perry) glory days are decidely behind him. His marriage to Scarlet (Leslie Mann) has fallen apart, he has been passed over for a promotion at work, his teenage kids think he is a lose, and he has been reduced to crashing with his high school nerd-turned-techono-billionaire best friend Ned (Thomas Lennon). He is blaiming to everyone around him (especially Scarlet) and regretting the decision he made 20 years back.

But Mike (Matthew Perry) is given another chance when he is miraculously transformed back to the age of 17 (Zac Efron). The story start there when he tried to rescue himself (life, marriage, kids and everything).

This is not a movie with new idea or storyline. This is also not a excellent show if were to compare to movies like "Departure", "Ironman" or so. However, I like the movie as for the reason it shows some behaviour/thinking which is very close to us, human. Human like to remind themselves of some decision which they made in the past. "What if I didn't...", "What if I..." or "I should have...". When things in the present don't go well, blaiming to others start. "If it is not because of you...", "All because of you that I...".

In the story, Mike has the chance to back to 17 which allow him to recall back why/what is so important during that moment when he made the critical decision. Of course, the important reason still valid, just being covered by all the -ve feeling when things come out to be not to their favor. "-ve feeling always brings -ve outcome", this is what happened to the present Mike and also something I learned from someone who is important to me.

In reality, we won't be given any chance to back to any time in the past. However, we have ourselves to remind us all the people/things which is important to us. That makes us human. ;)

4 comments:

黰真 said...

Hey, that is the movie I have my eye on... but not because of the "young" Mike O'Donnel, it is the "old" Mike O'Donnel.. Mathew Perry, haha, wonder why, kind of like him, in fact, he is one of the characters I like most in Friends... The story line of this movie should be as no surprise to us.. As it is pretty clear how, what and where the story heading from the title....
And I do agree with your point. In fact, I have been thinking about these questions a lot myself, what if I didn't do this and that at that time? What will I be if I choose another way? How easy my life is if I didn't choose this path? Also, the 'if not because of you' part too. But, I remember mum told me before that " Life is too short to regret". I guess when you start to regret, all you have to do is to make it right. Which lead to another tough question? How to make it right? Hey, I don't have to give you the answer for that, right? Because I don't know the answer.. Haha.. Just whatever path will give you happiness and you had tried your best... Don't regret, even if it is the wrong path, you must have enjoy part of the scenery when you walk along the path, right?

~AmK~ said...

I also like Matthew Perry. He is the one who act as Agent "Cooper" (dunno the spelling) in the very old series "who kill laura ...(another dunno laura what.)" right?

黰真 said...

I am so surprise that you also like him. Also, I also thot that he is the 'Agent Cooper', but he is not... haha
The cast 'Agent Cooper' was played by the one who act in desperate housewife, sex and the city.-- Kyle Maclachlan...

黰真 said...

Laura Palmer... I think

 
Copyright 2009 ~AmK~